Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What the Hay ?

Hey, sorry I haven't blogged in a while. Although It's not like anything very interesting has taken place. I'm going to write a letter to Loyola Hearn , minister of fisheries and oceans, in order to express my feelings about the seal hunt. I don't really see the point in it because i know that it probably won't even get read by the busy man, but instead by his overworked secretary. Who will just throw it out, but what the hay, might as well give it a shot.

" Dear Loyola,
I am a fifteen year old girl living in the St. Johns area, and as a concerned citizen of this city I feel the need to express my views and opinions of the seal hunt and where you stand. I think that all this carnivorous, cannibalistic behavior is barbaric, yet it is still accepted by you and the community.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Newfoundlander and proud of it. I support most of the traditions of my native land and i do not wish to take away anyone's heritage. Can't we just leave the seal hunt as a memory of our ancestors past? Just because they did it, doesn't mean that we have to. They didn't have washers and dryers would you like to go back to using a scrubbing board and a clothesline? Didn't think so.

I just strongly believe that nobody has the right to play god. To take another mammal's life is a mortal sin. Even though some people or maybe perhaps even you would disagree and argue that the seals are "overpopulated". Say's who? Just because a certain number of animals lives in one area doesn't mean that we have a right to commit a mass genocide on it.

I feel like your actions as minster of fisheries and oceans have been minimal. When I saw on the news that you had put an order in to take the "Farley Mowat" ship out of the way because it was too close to the seal hunt, I was bewildered. That ship was in international waters. Perhaps, the protesters could have been a threat to the sealers, but the way you went about it was absurd. Treating them as if they were terrorists and having them scooped away like they had committed a criminal act.

Thank you sir, for a moment of your time and I would greatly appreciate response."

Maybe I was a little bit too harsh. At least I wasn't disrespectful. Or.. I think I wasn't.

No comments: